We are very excited to present MakerBay first collaboration to build a large makerspace outside of Hong Kong. We have helped build many makerspaces in universities, schools, youth centers, for companies in Hong Kong, but this is our first partnership to build a large-scale innovation space in a place where we feel we could have a big impact: Cambodia! It is such an exciting place, with many challenges and even more opportunities! We treasure this opportunity!
MakerBay was tasked with designing and advising on the development of Cambodia largest innovation center / makerspace / fablab for the National Institute of Posts, Telecommunications and ICT, located in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in the capital, Phnom Penh.
MakerBay created the concept, design, machine specifications and produced the 3D files, engineering drawings, as well as the movie render above. Special thanks to Sopheap Seng, Sangva Lim, Melanie Mossard (Impact Hub Phnom Penh) and Thomas Williams, Chicky Bhavnani.
The Innovation is currently under construction and should be open to the students and the public in 2021, COVID19 permitting.
Address: Innovation Centre. National Road 6A, Kthor, Prek Leap Chroy Changvar, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Beyond the design and construction, MakerBay is interested to deliver more! For instance:
- Research: understand what’s the goal of the projects and success metrics
- Design of the space with the future community members
- Engineering: with local materials, tools, laws and cultural preferences
- Design the Information Technology System to manage people, time, space, tools, materials, manage projects, measure impact, internal and external communications
- Design Education Curriculum, research protocols
- Train staff
- Help run industry-focused social entrepreneurship incubation programs (Innovation in agriculture, textile, transportation, e-commerce, telecommunication, tourism, food industry) and build a strong entrepreneurial community and impact portfolio.
Here are some photos of the on-going construction site: