This post tells you how to make natural dyes from leftover fruits and vegetables.
What You’ll Need:
- Beetroot Skins – (for shades of red)
- Onion Skins – (for shades of orange)
- Red Cabbage Leaves – (for shades of blue)
- Spinach – (for shades of green of course!)
- Orange Peels – (for shades of light yellow/ochre)
- Small Saucepans
- Collect the leftover bits from your fruits and vegetables (peels, skins, leaves etc.), and make sure you have at least one cup of each item chopped
- Add the chopped ingredients for ONE of the fruits/vegetables into a saucepan filled with twice as much water as the fruit/vegetable (it’s a 1:2 ratio so if you’re using 1 cup of fruit (like orange) for example, then you’ll need 2 cups of water)
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to simmer for 1 hour
- Turn off the heat and allow the water to cool down until it reaches room temperature, strain the cooled dyes into glass containers and you’ve now made your own homemade dye!